After I saw this news post today on my Facebook feed, about a couple who have struggled for nearly two years to get pregnant and chose to do IVF & are now "regretful" that two embryos planted and are now having twins, I decided that I would share my story.
I am not much to share so much personal information about myself, but I know there are plenty of women who have the same "girl" issue as I do, so maybe my story will give someone a glimmer of hope if they are out there struggling!
When I was 20 years old, I was noticing some issues on my body that were concerning & embarrassing. I was growing hair on my face, where a woman does not need to grow hair! I guess I just ignored it, because I didn't want to face the fact that I was seriously growing a beard..ugh. One day, when I was in the car with my mom, she pointed it out to me.. "Heather, your beard is really noticeable in the sunlight". :-| Thanks for looking out mom! After that, I decided enough was enough. I could no longer ignore this issue. When I went to the dermatologist to discuss why in the world this was happening, she asked me If I had noticed any issues with my cycle. I was completely irregular all the time, but why would this have any affect with my facial hair issues? She suggested I make an appointment with my family doctor, and I did, which then confirmed that I in fact had PCOS, or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
PCOS is a common amongst women. I had a high hormone level of androgen, which explained the excess hair I was growing on my face. As a woman, when you produce a high amount of androgen it will lead you to irregular or absent ovulation, making it difficult to conceive.
After Drake & I got married, we started to discuss the importance of having a family. We both knew we wanted a big family, and we knew we didn't want to wait too long for this to happen (we figured a year after we were married would be ideal to really start pushing for a child). After the talk I had with my doctor when she diagnosed me with PCOS, we were both under the impression that it "could" and "most likely" would be a tough road to get pregnant, and I was never more sad in my life than when I thought about the struggle of trying to have a baby. What if I couldn't get pregnant? With this in our minds, we both decided to just put it in Gods hands & when he wanted to bless us with a child, he would. We decided that I would go off my birth control & see where it would lead. A month later and a messed up turkey sandwich that had me in tears, it was confirmed. We were having a baby!
Taken on 11.11.12
I was SHOCKED to say the least. I didn't know whether to be excited & happy or scared out of my mind! So many things run through a girls head when she sees those two pink lines, and my first initial reaction, I was completely terrified! Were we honestly really ready for this?? We had only been married for two months and this was the first time we had ever really been together under the same roof. We had barely even spent time with each other, just for ourselves. I mean, we didn't even get to go on a honeymoon & now, it would be even more delayed. Crying hysterically with the positive result in my hands, I showed my husband & he could not have been more happy. I knew then, everything would be OK.
Bringing me back to the article I mentioned above. Even though we didn't struggle like we thought we would, It does not change the fact that before I wouldn't cry at night just thinking about all the "What Ifs" if we were to of had a tough road ahead of us. I could never imagine going through years of that kind of pain, only for a pregnancy to take & then be "pissed off" or "regretful". That just completely baffles me. No one ever said that the next time my husband and I are ready to continue our growing family, that I wont struggle. I just pray that I won't ever have to know the pain of suffering to make our dream come true.
A baby is a blessing & should always be treasured.
PCOS is a common amongst women. I had a high hormone level of androgen, which explained the excess hair I was growing on my face. As a woman, when you produce a high amount of androgen it will lead you to irregular or absent ovulation, making it difficult to conceive.
After Drake & I got married, we started to discuss the importance of having a family. We both knew we wanted a big family, and we knew we didn't want to wait too long for this to happen (we figured a year after we were married would be ideal to really start pushing for a child). After the talk I had with my doctor when she diagnosed me with PCOS, we were both under the impression that it "could" and "most likely" would be a tough road to get pregnant, and I was never more sad in my life than when I thought about the struggle of trying to have a baby. What if I couldn't get pregnant? With this in our minds, we both decided to just put it in Gods hands & when he wanted to bless us with a child, he would. We decided that I would go off my birth control & see where it would lead. A month later and a messed up turkey sandwich that had me in tears, it was confirmed. We were having a baby!
Taken on 11.11.12
I was SHOCKED to say the least. I didn't know whether to be excited & happy or scared out of my mind! So many things run through a girls head when she sees those two pink lines, and my first initial reaction, I was completely terrified! Were we honestly really ready for this?? We had only been married for two months and this was the first time we had ever really been together under the same roof. We had barely even spent time with each other, just for ourselves. I mean, we didn't even get to go on a honeymoon & now, it would be even more delayed. Crying hysterically with the positive result in my hands, I showed my husband & he could not have been more happy. I knew then, everything would be OK.
Bringing me back to the article I mentioned above. Even though we didn't struggle like we thought we would, It does not change the fact that before I wouldn't cry at night just thinking about all the "What Ifs" if we were to of had a tough road ahead of us. I could never imagine going through years of that kind of pain, only for a pregnancy to take & then be "pissed off" or "regretful". That just completely baffles me. No one ever said that the next time my husband and I are ready to continue our growing family, that I wont struggle. I just pray that I won't ever have to know the pain of suffering to make our dream come true.
A baby is a blessing & should always be treasured.
No comments:
Post a Comment