Saturday, August 31, 2013

Conquering Fears

 In my life I have always been quite the homebody. Never did I think I would make it out of Kentucky. Now.. this isn't because I didn't want to leave, I just honestly never considered myself the strong enough type to leave. Why would a girl want to move away from the place she has known as home her entire life? I don't like to do things on my own. I'm not much of the adventurous type. I developed a fear of flying (somehow). I get anxiety when I drive long distances. Let's face it.. staying home, in Kentucky, where I am comfortable sounds like a pretty good time to me. Until I met the one person who changed all of that for me. My husband, Drake.

Thank goodness Drake likes girls who come to check him out hang out with a girlfriend right after she gets done with a sweaty one hour gym session. Seriously, thinking about it now.. I wish I  would've showered. How was I supposed to know that this would be the moment I met my future husband? To this day he still thinks it was his car that won me over (really??). I like to think it was over our love for pancakes, or just food in general. What guy can't be won over by filling his belly with yummy goodness & what girl doesn't love when her cooking can impress a man? I would also like to thank the fact that I had an anxiety attack that night as well. I was able to see the softer side of him. He was so helpful and calmed me down faster than anyone else ever had.

& that was all it took. He had me hooked. Now all I had to do was wonder how I was going to get him hooked. 

I had NO idea about this guy. What did he like? How would I get him interested in a girl like me? Was it even going to be worth it? He was at college in New York, & I was still in Kentucky and had no interest in traveling to New York.

Thank goodness for Facebook. There's just something about being more open when you're not face to face. I am not the type to grab someones attention, & neither was he. He threw his bait though, and I took it. 

& so it started. A long distance relationship. 

So, getting to the point finally. He helped me figure out that I was the person I never thought I could be. I flew to New York twice to see him. Overcoming my fear of flying and traveling alone. I was able to go off my anxiety medication & never needed it again. I drove to GA twice by myself, down & back. Something I would've never been able to do, due to my anxiety. Most of all though, he helped me see that I was stronger than I ever thought I could be. I moved away from everyone & everything I was comfortable with.

Became an Army wife.

I had to become strong enough to be O.K. with doing things on my own. Learn how to make brand new friends, who would become more than friends, & more like family. Become a mother, without having my mother just a drive away if I needed her. All the things I thought I would never have to do, I did. & I have my husband to thank for all of that.

So Thank You, Drake. For showing me how strong I am capable of being, with just saying three words.

I Love You.

Here's to conquering all my fears, for love. & many more years to come fulfilling our goals & dreams together.

09.01.12






No comments:

Post a Comment